Free Case Evaluation
  • American Broadcasting Company
  • Bar Register - Preeminent Lawyers 2017 Martindale Hubbell(R)
  • NADC
  • NBC
  • Martindale Hubbell Preeminent Lawyers
  • Top Lawyers in Florida 2014
  • CNN
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Fox
  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
  • AVVO
  • HLN TV
Michael A. Gottlieb, P.A.
“Out of the Box” Defense Strategy
Free Case Evaluation

What happens if I violate my probation in Florida?

If you are convicted of a drug offense, you very well may be sentenced to jail time, probation or both. While probation may seem to be much more preferable than jail time, it is still something that needs to be taken seriously.

Too many people see probation as a "get out of jail free" card; it is not. While probation can mean that you won't spend any or as much time in jail for offenses like drug possession or sales, there are very strict terms of probation and violating these terms comes with harsh penalties.

To begin with, you should understand some of the terms with which you may be required to comply if you are placed on probation. These can include abstaining from drugs and alcohol, regularly checking in with your probation officer, paying restitution, submitting to random testing and avoiding contact with certain people.

If you violate these or other terms set by the court, or if there is reason to believe you did, law enforcement agents can arrest you and you will be back in court.

If this happens and the courts determine that you have violated your probation, your probation could be revoked, extended or modified. Further, in accordance with Florida statutes, your originally-imposed sentence could be reinstated. What this means is that you could end up serving your original sentence in addition to any time that may be ordered for the probation violation. The courts can also tack on additional terms of your probation.

Considering how seriously the courts and law enforcement agents take probation, you would be wise to do the same. Discussing the possibility of probation and potential or existing compliance issues with your attorney can help you avoid costly mistakes and protect your freedom and your future.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Can Help Now

Contact Us Right Away

You need to act fast to get your loved one out of custody. Dial 954-462-1005 to get immediate answers from one of our attorneys. Sending an email is another way to reach us for a free initial consultation. We are available 24/7 and promptly respond to all messages.

Call our Fort Lauderdale office at 954-462-1005 or email us to schedule a meeting to discuss your case. Initial consults are always free of charge.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy