Free Case Evaluation
  • American Broadcasting Company
  • Bar Register - Preeminent Lawyers 2017 Martindale Hubbell(R)
  • NADC
  • NBC
  • Martindale Hubbell Preeminent Lawyers
  • Top Lawyers in Florida 2014
  • CNN
  • Better Business Bureau
  • Fox
  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
  • AVVO
  • HLN TV
Michael A. Gottlieb, P.A.
“Out of the Box” Defense Strategy
Free Case Evaluation

Probation is a good alternative to a jail sentence

You have been defending yourself, but it's clear that it's possible for a guilty verdict to be reached. Your attorney's job isn't just to get you acquitted, though. He or she fought to make sure you get the lowest possible sentence for your actions in the event of a conviction. In this case, one of the best things you can hope for is probation.

Probation is the suspension of a jail sentence, which allows you to stay in the community with a few additional rules. Essentially, your life doesn't have to change much at all, and you have avoided prison. Under the court-ordered rules, you may need to check in with your probation officer regularly or refrain from committing similar crimes.

Probation lasts for different lengths of time depending on the crime. For most people, it lasts between one and three years. After the probationary period is finished, you can go back to living your life normally without needing supervision or additional court dates.

What kinds of terms do probationary periods have?

Typical probationary rules include going to court during scheduled appearances, paying fines, not leaving the state without permission, obeying the law, submitting to alcohol or drug testing and meeting with your probationary officer regularly. Usually, the terms of probation are based on the kind of crime you committed. People convicted of drug crimes may be required to submit to drug testing, for example, while those convicted of fraud may have to avoid using computers or certain technology.

Probation can be a positive outcome for your case. Your attorney can help you fight with a strong defense to make it a possibility.

Source: FindLaw, "Probation FAQ," accessed Nov. 14, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Can Help Now

Contact Us Right Away

You need to act fast to get your loved one out of custody. Dial 954-462-1005 to get immediate answers from one of our attorneys. Sending an email is another way to reach us for a free initial consultation. We are available 24/7 and promptly respond to all messages.

Call our Fort Lauderdale office at 954-462-1005 or email us to schedule a meeting to discuss your case. Initial consults are always free of charge.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy