Using Collaboration And Experience To Protect Your Freedom And Reputation
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Drug Possession
  4.  — Can You Use Illegal Drugs For Physical And Mental Disorders?

Can You Use Illegal Drugs For Physical And Mental Disorders?

On Behalf of | Dec 7, 2016 | Drug Possession

A number of drugs that are illegal have been found to be effective for people dealing with various physical and emotional conditions. A recent study has found that the drug ecstasy (also known as MDMA), and commonly considered a party drug, can help people who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and other anxiety-related conditions.

Veterans have been participating in drug trials over the past few years to help researchers determine whether Ecstasy is a viable treatment for PTSD. Just recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given the go-ahead for large-scale trials to determine whether the drug is effective for people suffering from PTSD.

Of course, as with many drugs, particularly those that make people feel better, there is the potential for addiction and abuse. Prolonged use of Ecstasy can cause brain damage.

One doctor, who has experience researching PTSD but isn’t involved in the Ecstasy research says that he’s “cautious but hopeful” that the drug will provide effective results for vets who often turn to alcohol to relieve their pain. He says, “Our best therapies right now don’t help 30 to 40 percent of people. So we need more options.”

A number of drugs that are illegal to possess, including marijuana in some states, have been recognized as effective treatments for a number of conditions. However, it’s essential to understand that possession of these drugs and certainly driving under the influence of them, can cause a person to wind up charged with a drug crime.

Before being given these drugs, you should discuss with your physician how to use them without running afoul of the law. If you do find yourself charged with a drug crime based on your possession or use of drugs like Ecstasy, you should seek legal guidance immediately.